APEC Study Centers (ASCs) are institutions that foster research and academic discussions that support the broader APEC mission of regional economic integration.
Each of the 21 member economies hosts centers, building networks between the academic professionals of the region. Today there are more than 50 ASCs, and together they form the APEC Study Centers Consortium (ASCC).
The ASCC holds an annual conference hosted by one of the centers in the APEC Host Economy for the year. The annual conference provides an opportunity for academics and scholars from around the region to discuss their research and identify areas for collaboration.
ASCs were part of the vision set out by APEC Leaders in 1993 when they launched the “APEC Leaders' Education Initiative.” The Education Initiative called on APEC members to foster regional cooperation among tertiary and research institutes to promote greater academic collaboration on key regional economic challenges.
ASCs are independent from APEC and their functions and funding arrangements are not uniform. Financial support is provided for by both public and private funds, and research topics are usually chosen by individual study centers, providing them with an independence and flexibility that ensure the integrity of the ASC process.
Last page update: July 2017
APEC Study Centers Consortium Conference 2017
Researchers from across the Asia-Pacific region convened to share their analyses of APEC issues at the 2017 ASCC Conference hosted by the Diplomatic Academy of Viet Nam on 12-13 May 2017 in Ha Noi.
ASCC 2017 focused on seven priority areas including
- New trends and challenges to inclusive economic growth and trade in the Asia-Pacific region
- Relevance and dynamism for APEC in the new context
- Promoting resilience and sustainable development among APEC member economies
- Education and technological innovation in promoting regional trade and integration
- FTAAP: Ways forward
- Development of APEC’s labor mobility framework, and
- Enhancing the capacity and competitiveness of MSMEs
The APEC Study Centers Consortium Conference 2017 Proceedings and Booklet are available for download. For more information, please contact the ASCC 2017 Chair Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The next annual ASCC Conference will be hosted by Papua New Guinea in 2018.
At the APEC Study Centers Consortium conferences over the years, researchers have analysed and provide policy recommendations for a wide range of APEC issues. Previous topics include regional economic integration, strengthening food security, supply chain performance and sustainable development with equity. For more information and to read individual research papers, please refer to the conference proceedings below.
The APEC Study Centers Consortium Conference 2016 focused on the following priority areas:
- Opportunities and challenges of Free Trade Area of the Asia-Pacific (FTAAP)
- New issues in regional economic integration
- Improving MSMEs’ capabilities
- Human capital development
- Human security
The APEC Study Centers Consortium Conference 2015 Proceedings includes research papers and analyses on the following APEC issues:
- Enhancing regional economic integration
- Fostering SMEs’ participation in the regional and global economy
- Investing in human capital development
- Building sustainable capital development
The APEC Study Centers Consortium Conference 2014 Proceedings includes research papers and analyses on the following APEC issues:
- New trend of Asia-Pacific economic integration
- Feasibility and pathways towards FTAAP
- Comprehensive connectivity and infrastructure development
- Innovative development, economic reform and growth
The APEC Study Centers Consortium Conference 2013 Proceedings includes research papers and analyses on the following APEC issues:
- Attaining the Bogor Goals
- Promoting connectivity
- Sustainable development with equity.
The APEC Study Centers Consortium Conference 2012 Proceedings features key findings and policy recommendations on the following APEC topics:
- Trade and investment liberalization, regional economic integration
- Strengthening food security
- Establishing reliable supply chains
- Intensive cooperation to foster innovative growth.
The APEC Study Centers Consortium Conference 2011 Proceedings summarizes analyses and policy recommendations on the following APEC topics:
- Green growth
- Trade integration
- Regulatory convergence.
Dr. Tran Viet Thai
Chair of ASCC 2017
Viet Nam APEC Study Center, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Hoang Oanh (Ms)
ASCC 2017 Chair Office
Pruthipong Poonthrigobol (Mr)
12 May 2017
APEC Study Centers Consortium Conference
Ha Noi, Viet Nam