This report shows the critical role the electric distribution system plays in supporting both energy resiliency and the integration of distributed renewable energy resources into the power grid and, thus, furthering APEC's clean energy goals. This report is structured to inform the reader, who may not come from a technical background, what the distribution system planning elements APEC members need to begin considering as they modernize their grids. The six elements highlighted in the study included:
- Implementing Integrated Distribution System Planning
- Leveraging Distributed Energy Resources for Reliability & Resilience
- Planning for Electric Vehicles & Their Potential
- Increasing Situational Awareness
- Allowing for Microgrids
- Establishing Equitable Recovery Strategies
The report demonstrates how cutting-edge distribution system planning techniques and new technologies can enhance reliability, resilience, and DER utilization in the region at a high level.