Last page update:
The Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) is a regional economic forum established in 1989 to leverage the growing interdependence of the Asia-Pacific. APEC’s 21 members aim to create greater prosperity for the people of the region by promoting balanced, inclusive, sustainable, innovative and secure growth and by accelerating regional economic integration.
Based in the APEC Secretariat in Singapore, the Policy Support Unit (PSU) provides professional and tailor-made research, analysis and evidence-based policy suggestions to improve the quality of APEC members’ deliberations and decisions. Research internship opportunities are now available for existing students who are enrolled in a Master’s programme in Economics, Public Policy or Statistics or in a similar undergraduate programme at the senior level.
- Carry out research and literature review for use in PSU studies
- Gather, compile and process quantitative and qualitative data
- Assist in the preparation of policy and research reports and presentations
- Update and manage socio-economic databases
- Perform other duties as assigned by PSU staff
- Undergraduate degree in Economics, Public Policy, Statistics, or a similar area of specialisation. Skilled undergraduate students in their senior year may also apply.
- Currently enrolled, or accepted and about to enrol, in a graduate degree programme in Economics, Public Policy, Statistics, or a similar area of specialisation.
- Strong quantitative skills and analytical capacity.
- Experience in data management and analysis. Some knowledge of STATA will be an advantage.
- Proficient in the use of MS Office applications such as Word and Excel.
- Ability to work in written and spoken English.
The internship is open to students who are nationals and passport holders of APEC members. Physical presence in Singapore is not a requirement for this internship. The internship period is for a minimum period of three (3) calendar months; flexible working arrangements may be agreed with the PSU as needed. Applicants are requested to indicate their period of availability between March 2022 and December 2022. Selected interns will receive a monthly allowance of SGD 1,000.
To apply, please provide: (1) a completed application form (download the form from https://www.apec.org/docs/default-source/aboutus/internship/2021/sep/apec-secretariat-internship-program-application-form_1-sep21.docx?sfvrsn=3cca6bdd_1), (2) cover letter, indicating among others your nationality, period of availability, and where you are based, and (3) resume, listing your previous research experiences if any. Please send your application to Aveline Low at email address: [email protected] no later than Friday, 14 January 2022 (GMT+8). Only shortlisted applicants will be notified.
To find out more about APEC, the PSU, and the terms and conditions of internship, please go to: