In line with APEC’s primary goal of supporting sustainable economic growth and prosperity in the Asia-Pacific region, the APEC Policy Support Unit (PSU) covers a broad range of APEC's activities. Current work includes:
- tracking the progress towards free and open trade and investment, and a more favorable business environment in the APEC region
- examining improvements in supply chain connectivity across the APEC region
- studying the supply chain operations of key industries in APEC
- providing policy inputs and analytical research to support APEC's discussions
- maintaining a database of APEC economic indicators to improve understanding of the integration between APEC economies and the world, and of the region's contribution to the global economy
For a list of the PSU’s current work, please refer to “PSU Work Program” in the downloads section.
At present the PSU’s policy research and analysis agenda is structured into five core areas, namely:
- Trade & Investment Liberalization & Facilitation
Trade and investment liberalization and facilitation are the cornerstones of APEC's activities. The PSU’s body of work in this area includes assessing the implementation of the second Trade Facilitation Action Plan (TFAP II) and APEC’s progress in achieving the Bogor Goals by 2020; reviewing progress of the Investment Facilitation Action Plan (IFAP) implementation; and researching on trade in services and next generation trade and investment issues.
- Structural Reform
The PSU supports the APEC’s agenda of removing behind-the border barriers to trade by promoting structural reform within APEC. The body of work includes assessing APEC’s progress towards achieving the Ease of Doing Business target of 25 percent improvement by 2015, and providing capacity building support to APEC members.
- Connectivity including Supply Chain Connectivity & Global Supply Chains
Improving supply chain performance and reliability in the APEC region is a priority area given its importance to trade and economic growth. The PSU’s work in this area includes evaluating the implementation of the APEC Supply-Chain Connectivity Framework Action Plan (SCFAP), which aims to achieve a 10 percent improvement in supply chain performance in terms of time, cost and uncertainty by 2015; and studying into the trends and concepts of global supply, global value and global production chains, and the SMEs’ participation in global production chains.
- Economic and Financial Analysis
Timely access to data and analysis are important in any decision-making process. The PSU provides such support to APEC members and fora through monitoring, analyzing and reporting macro- and micro-economic, trade and investment trends and developments in the APEC region. The PSU also manages StatsAPEC, APEC’s online statistics portal, and updates it with the latest data twice a year.
- Sustainable Economic Development
The PSU supports the APEC’s vision of sustainable economic growth and prosperity in the Asia-Pacific region through its work on a myriad of topics such as on SMEs and food security. It also provides support in improving the design and implementation of economic and technical cooperation programs in the APEC region.
For a list of the PSU’s products and publications in these focus areas, please go to PSU Products & Publications.