Last page update:
Privacy Statement Overview
This Privacy Statement discloses the privacy policies for the APEC website (www.apec.org) managed by the APEC Secretariat.
When a user accesses the APEC site, non-personal data is stored on the website server. The information includes Internet protocol (IP) addresses, operating system and browser type; areas of the site visited; date and time of access, along with other similar information. However, we do not capture data that can identify users individually. The data collected is only used internally for website analysis purposes and is not disclosed or provided to third parties.
When a user provides personal data (e.g. name and email address) in order to subscribe to services like Newsletters via the APEC website, all such data is stored on secured servers and the APEC Secretariat takes all reasonable technical precautions to safeguard the data.
The APEC website contains links to other websites. The APEC Secretariat is not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of any third party.
Personal Data Protection Notice
Pursuant Singapore’s Personal Data Protection Act, this Personal Data Protection Notice sets out how APEC Secretariat collects, uses, retains and discloses your personal data.
APEC Secretariat recognises its responsibilities in relation to the collection, retaining, processing, using and the disclosure of personal data. The provision of your personal data is voluntary. You may choose not to provide us with the requested data; but failure to do so may inhibit our ability to collaborate with you or provide services to you.
What is Personal Data
Personal Data is data from which an individual can be identified from the data alone or with other information about the individual. For the purposes of our services, personal data would generally include your full name, email address, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, nationality, identity card or passport information, gender, marital status, employment details and banking details. For information on the specific personal data that APEC Secretariat will require of you, please refer to this policy and/or terms and conditions that govern our relationship with you.
How do we collect Personal Data
APEC Secretariat collects personal data in the following manner:
- When you register for our events, participate in our events, subscribe to our services and publications, access our websites and use our online services;
- When you submit concept notes, project proposals, or any request for project funding;
- When you submit documents and application forms to register participation of our events, or for a job, or for project funding;
- When you submit requests for changes or updates of your existing personal data;
- When you respond to our queries or request for us to contact you;
- When you interact with our staff, stakeholders, service providers via phone, email, face to face meetings, networking, interviews, SMS, fax, mail or electronic mail;
- When you submit personal data to us to participate in our surveys, event, competition organised by APEC Secretariat or its partners;
- When you request a third party to contact and/or make enquiries from APEC Secretariat with your personal data;
- Purposes for which personal data is Collected, Used or Disclosed
Children’s personal data
APEC does not knowingly solicit or collect personal data from children below the age of 18. If APEC discovers that it has accidentally collected personal data from a child below the age of 18, it will remove that child’s personal data from its records as soon as reasonably possible. However, APEC may collect personal data about children below the age of 18 years if authorized by the holder of parental responsibility over the child.
APEC Secretariat collects, uses and discloses personal data for the following purposes:
- Evaluating your suitability for participation of our projects, events, collaborations in our projects and/or employment;
- Responding to your requests or queries including requests and queries from your authorised representatives and individuals purporting to be you;
- Making changes or updating to your personal particulars;
- Reviewing and/or renewing your contracts;
- Providing ad-hoc or regular information about your relationship with APEC Secretariat;
- Assessing, processing, settling, authenticating and investigating claims for reimbursements;
- Verifying your identity and any information you provide to us;
- Promoting our events and projects;
- Participating and administering contests, events and competitions;
- Providing, managing, operating, processing and administering our services to you;
- Archiving, backing up or destroying personal data;
- Compliance, monitoring and audit review;
- Meeting requirements for APEC Secretariat’s operations;
- To communicate with you to update you on APEC Secretariat’s mission, work or future changes;
- For statistical and surveys;
- For data matching and administrative purposes;
- Meeting requirements imposed by any law, rules, regulations, agreements imposed by the Singapore Government, Project partners, third parties service providers, industry bodies, etc.
- To personalise the appearance of APEC websites, and increasing the visibility of APEC;
- Other purposes as notified at the time of collection; and,
- Other purposes directly relating to any of the above.
By interacting with the APEC Secretariat, submitting information to APEC Secretariat, or signing up to participate in any APEC programme/event, you consent to APEC Secretariat to use and retain your information for as long as necessary to fulfil the above purposes. Reasonable steps will be taken to delete, destroy or anonymise your personal data when it is no longer necessary for any of the above purposes.
Who may be provided with your Personal Data
Your personal data will be kept confidential but may, where permitted by law and where such disclosure to third parties is necessary to satisfy the purpose or a directly related purpose for which the personal data was collected, disclose and transfer your personal data to the following parties, ether located inside or outside of Singapore:
- Administer your payment should you be eligible;
- Hosts of APEC events;
- Service vendors & providers appointed by APEC Secretariat to manage any of the administrative functions;
- Hospitals, doctors and insurance organisations;
- Other companies that help gather your information to communicate with you such as research companies, etc.;
- Our lawyers and auditors;
- Any law enforcement agency, statutory board, government regulator, government authority, industry bodies so as to comply with any laws, rules, regulations, agreements or schemes;
- Any party to whom you have consented the disclosure of your personal data; and
- Any other party as permitted under applicable law.
Consequences of Consent Withdrawal
Individuals may withdraw their consent for APEC Secretariat to collect, use or disclose their personal data by giving APEC Secretariat reasonable notice, using the “Withdrawal of Consent Form” which is available on request from us.
However, withdrawal of your consent for APEC Secretariat to collect, use or disclose your personal data will render APEC Secretariat being unable to continue any collaborations, participation in APEC project events or might lead to a termination of any contractual relationship with APEC Secretariat or a breach of certain contractual undertakings or obligations.
It is the individual’s responsibility to provide accurate and up to date personal data in order for APEC Secretariat to service you.
35 Heng Mui Keng Terrace